(studio active from 1852 to 1870 circa)
Sons of the painter Louis François Bisson, Louis Auguste (Paris 1814 – 1876) and Auguste Rosalie (Paris 1826 – 1900) started testing the new daguerreotype technique along with their father around 1840. They then passed from negatives to the collodion process. In 1852, they decided to team up and their photographs bore the stamp “Bisson Frères.”
The Bisson brothers worked with both the daguerreotype and with wet, dry, and albumen collodion, in large format. They experimented with innovative filters and plate gilding and silvering methods through electrolysis. They were also pioneers in aerial photography and patented photographs on transparent paper. Alongside this technical proliferation, theirs was also a vast and eclectic choice of subjects, ranging from portraits, landscape, events, art images, archeology, animals, and reproductions for industrial purposes.