(L’Aquila 1818–Rome 1893)
Known for introducing the wet collodion technique to Rome, D’Alessandri opened his own atelier in 1856, teaming up with his brother Paolo. The D’Alessandri brothers studio stood out above all with Rome’s aristocrats, members of the papacy as well as the Bourbon court, which moved to Rome in 1862 after the siege of Gaeta. Antonio is without a doubt the more famous brother: he became the “Pope’s photographer” and took numerous portraits of Pope Pius IX. As a member since 1864 of the Societé Francaise de Photographie, he was praised and admired by his friend Nadar.