(Canzo 1807 – Milan 1870)
A versatile optician and scientist, he became interested in photography at an early age, at the time practiced through daguerreotype, of which he intuited its yet unexplored potentials. In November 1839, Duroni was the first to import Daguerre’s device to Milan and create the first views of the city in daguerreotype. Subsequently, he expanded his own business, adding a photo studio to his optician practice, equipped with a special room for portraits, which became his specialty. His refined portraits made him famous, and his atelier was a meeting place for men of letters, artists, and politicians. In the 1860s, his scientific interests led him to try his hand with portraits on salted paper and albumen. Finally, in 1866, he definitively handed his atelier over to Icilio Calzolari.