(Munich 1821 – Florence 1862)
Hautmann trained as a painter at the Fine Arts Academy in Munich. He then went to Italy in 1874 where he stayed in Rome until 1849, thereafter moving to Florence at Raffaello Metzger’s, a painter, engraver, and collector. Initially interested in sculpture, in 1851 Hautmann opened his own studio on Via della Scala 4367 which, in 1858, became the headquarters of the Stabilimento Fotografico A. Hautmann. Hautmann mainly took views and instant shots of city spaces in stereoscope and is considered a pioneer of this photography technique in Italy. Hautmann’s output is also known for his cartes de visite and painting studies characterized by rocky landscapes, sketches of clouds, rural settings, and domestic scenes that illustrate his investigations of light and shadow that create clear contrasts of dark and light, full and empty spaces.