(Vercelli 1816 – Venice 1882)
After a degree in law he moved to Venice around 1857 and opened his celebrated photo business. At first he was financially supported by the shop of Carlo Ponti, with whom he published the album Vedute di Venezia (1866). The success of his company, specialized in art reproductions and views, was immediate: in 1864, he was invited to take survey photo campaigns before the restoration of Giotto’s frescoes in the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua. After breaking away from Ponti, in 1868 Naya opened his own atelier in Piazza San Marco. When he died, his wife, Ida Lessiak, took over the business and entrusted management to Naya’s collaborator, Tommaso Filippi. Thanks to him the company published, in 1887, Isole della laguna di Venezia, an album of views enlivened by genre scenes.