(Maidstone, Kent, 1812 – Florence 1878)
He represents a key player in the history of photography in Tuscany, and above all in Florence. Starting in the 1850s he worked in the city of the Grand Duke with the calotype, and then continued with a more commercial output of art reproductions and views made on colloid plates.
Overall, the negatives document a 360-degree artistic personality, for their technical quality and his compositional research. Along with his well-known series of views of Florence, from sculpted monuments to the main churches, with particular attention to portraying the Arno, its bridges and banks, there are also shots of famous tourist sites in the 1800s like Bagni di Lucca, the preferred destination for the English in Tuscany.