(Sagno 1821 – Venice 1893)
An optician of Swiss origins, he trained during a stay of eight years in Paris, then moving to Venice in the early 1850s. Here he was engaged in the flourishing photography scene, opening a store with optician instruments and also selling photos. In 1854, he was honored at the Esposizione di Agricoltura e Industria for his “photography instruments,” and that same year he published the first catalogue of 160 views of Venice, thanks to the contribution of photographers like Perini and Bresolin. In 1862, he also won the international Exposition in London where he presented the Megalethoscope, a visor for large-format photos with spectacular effects.