(photography establishment opened in Florence in 1854)
The Fratelli Alinari first began in Florence, at the chalcographer Luigi Bardi. Thanks to his encouragement, Leopoldo Alinari (Florence 1832–1865) devoted himself to studying photography, with the goal of creating a new illustration tool to replace engraving. Around 1852, Leopoldo opened his own photo lab on Via Cornina and soon after, in 1854, with his brothers Romualdo (Florence 1830–1891) and Giuseppe (Florence 1836–1891) established the Fratelli Alinari company. Since 1855 the quality and prestige of Alinari is recognized around the world. The Fratelli Alinari production also extends to documenting the art, architecture, and landscape of the entire Italian peninsula, alongside the work from the celebrated posing studio found on Via Nazionale, where the Alinari brothers opened shop in 1863, as well as their commissions for private clients. This gave rise to the vast Alinari Archive, which offers a varied perspective of society between the late 1800s and the early decades of the 1900s.